Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, September 16, 2022

Junko Ohashi -- Magical ~ Ohashi Junko no Sekai III(大橋純子の世界III)

 

This is quite an auspicious start to Urban Contemporary Friday on "Kayo Kyoku Plus". I had assumed that there would be no chance in getting this BEST compilation "Magical ~ Ohashi Junko no Sekai III" (Junko Ohashi's World III) because the original LP was demanding nosebleed prices and there were other BEST compilations of the singer for much cheaper prices. Basically, my feeling was that except for those remaining copies on auction online, "Magical" had been discontinued.

Well, during my usual talk with KKP collaborator and friend JTM a couple of weeks ago, he advised me that this would be a good time to go on a purchasing spree since the yen was going so low. So, I just checked out CD Japan and threw in a couple of singers and albums, assuming that I was going to hit nothing. Much to my surprise, I did hit pay dirt. There was an actual CD of "Magical" and Ritsuko Kazami's(風見律子)1986 album "Aventurier" which I had also thought was one of the rarest of the rare and therefore impossible to obtain. At 1500 yen per disc ($14 CDN), I wasn't one to argue. I pressed the trigger on my wallet and the rest is history.

I'm happy to say that both are keepers. But this is my first BEST article in a while, so let's get the playlist out of the way:

1. Koi wa Magic(恋はマジック)

2. Kousui(香水)

3. A Love Affair

4. I Love You So

5. Lost Love: Ai no Odori Ba (ロスト・ラヴ~愛の踊り場)

6. Tasogare(黄昏)

7. Telephone Number

8. Sherry(シェリー)

9. Another Day, Another Love

10. Dancin'

11. In Your Lovin'

12. Sugao no Mama de (素顔のままで)

The liner notes have the track list separated into groups of three and what I've read is that the original July 1984 (and not 1983, as J-Wiki says) release was a 2-LP album with three songs per side. As mentioned, this is one of Ohashi's BEST compilations, but there are three songs that did get their debut on "Magical". As you can see above, five of the tracks have already been spoken for on the blog so you can check those links.

 

One of those three new songs begins "Magical". "Koi wa Magic" (Love Is Magic) is actually a cover of the AOR song "Isn't It Magic", a 1980 single released by the duo Private Line consisting of the singer-songwriters Peter Yellowstone and Steve Voice. A fellow by the name of M. Tinsley also helped out in the songwriting department. Lyricist Hiromi Mori(森浩美)provided the Japanese lyrics for the cover which was a duet done by Ohashi and Yoshinori Monta(もんたよしのり)with a single release in June 1984

The AOR feel is still intact but given a bit more of a punch thanks to Monta's gravelly delivery and there's an arrangement nod to Boz Scaggs the balladeer from Ken Sato's(佐藤健)efforts. Perhaps "Koi wa Magic" was a form of ongaeshi after a prior duet involving Ohashi and Monta in 1983 with their dynamic "Natsu Onna Sonia"(夏女ソニア)

Track 3 is the 1984 "A Love Affair" created by the husband-and-wife team of Ohashi and Sato and it's the second of the three new songs. It's a good and funky City Pop tune which was also used for a commercial. I would just love to know what product was being sold here...a disco? I don't think that it would be life insurance. 😏


The next track is the final of the three new 1984 tunes, "I Love You So". I've heard this before, so it was maybe a track from the other BEST compilation of Ohashi that I have. What I'm surprised about is that I hadn't covered it before in an individual article since it is such a City Pop banger with that disco flute and those marvelous Ohashi vocals. As with "A Love Affair", it was Ohashi and Sato on lyrics and melody respectively. One commenter for the video stated that they got a lot of Chaka Khan vibes which I agree with; at the same time, that flute also made me wonder about Quincy Jones.

"Tasogare" (Twilight) was Ohashi's 20th single from August 1982 (and the title track from her June 1982 album). A sigh-worthy ballad about the ephemerality of love, it goes to show how much of a master Ohashi has been with the aching love song. Once again, it's Sato on music and arrangement but this time, Yoshiko Miura(三浦徳子)is behind the lyrics. I gather that the twilight here isn't about the sun setting but more about the end of a relationship. The background vocals almost make "Tasogare" a religious experience.



Also, from "Tasogare" the album is the slow ballad "Sherry" which was once again handled by Miura and Sato (the two of them also took care of the beloved "Telephone Number"). Sherry isn't the name of a lass but the actual libation being swirled around in the glass, as the lady calls up an old flame after a year to see what he's up to...and perhaps rekindle the passion that they once had. I'm not sure if that is a fluegelhorn or a really mellow keyboard in the background but it really works in "Sherry".


The last three songs for "Magical", i.e., Side B of Record 2 of the original album, all come from Ohashi's 1983 album "Point Zero". I've heard all about this record which was recorded in New York City with local musicians, and my impression is that the singer was trying to go all out in the R&B department beginning with the proto-Jamiroquai "Dancin'" which I've already written about. "In Your Lovin'" is a nocturnal, sinewy and sensuous funk strut down 5th Avenue that for some reason also gets me memories of Gino Vannelli. Sato was once again on music and arrangement while Diane Silverthorn handled lyrics.


The final track is "Sugao no Mama de" (Just the Way You Are) by Ohashi and Sato, which is a melodic flight into dreamland about having that romance with the partner of one's desire...including kids. There's some disco in there along with some really boppy keyboard work and of course, Ohashi's vocals scatting away at the end with a hint of Latin piano to whisk all of us listeners to the end. It's a light and hopeful tune to finish off this truly magical album. I will definitely recommend "Magical" but since I've always been a late bloomer and that includes the purchase of this one, most of you already know how wonderful it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.