Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, September 5, 2022

Supertramp -- The Logical Song

from Discogs

Since it is a major holiday today in Canada and the United States, I thought that it would be nice to have another special Reminiscings of Youth article up here detailing some of the songs outside of Japan that I heard in my teenage years. 

I think that cover for Supertramp's 1979 award-winning "Breakfast In America" is absolutely iconic. The crazy thing is that though I remember the photo of that really welcoming diner waitress with her orange juice raised up high, I'd always thought that up to an hour ago, the backdrop was truly a photo of Manhattan Island in New York State instead of it actually being a bunch of dining table paraphernalia made up to look like Manhattan. 

By the way, welcome to KKP, Supertramp! The English rock group was a regular on the radio airwaves when I was growing up, and being the kid that I was, I had known them as that band with the fellow with the really high voice. That's about as descriptive as I could get about Roger Hodgson at the time, but his voice did serve as a calling card for me to be able to recognize the band's music...well, that and the Wurlitzer electric piano. 

"The Logical Song" from March 1979 which has been called Supertramp's greatest contribution to music was indeed the lead single from "Breakfast In America", and yep, I heard it all the time on radio. But like the simple mind that is quoted in Hodgson's lyrics, I had no idea of the significance of them until many years later. I thought it had a rather odd title back then and being a budding Trekkie at the time, images of Mr. Spock kept flittering around in my head instead of the debate about what formal education was really worth (to this day, I still don't really know how learning about matrices in math meant anything).

Over the years though, Hodgson's music for "The Logical Song" has gotten increasingly cooler and though I have yet to encounter any official literature about the structure and progression of its melody, it seems to flip between the hecticness of life in the big city and a more dream-like state wondering what life is all about. Then the end with the band members playing their cowbell, castanets and whistle might be showing the protagonist finally going a bit mad.

Certainly my imagination wasn't going mad when it comes to the "The Logical Song" and how often it was hitting the airwaves. It was the No. 1 song in Canada for 1979 while on the US Billboard chart, it scored No. 27.

Well, I might have found a new site providing information on which singles were released in which month and year. And so, I can provide a few singles that did come out at the same time as "The Logical Song".

Momoe Yamaguchi -- Be Silent(美・サイレント)

Satoshi Kishida -- Kimi no Asa (君の朝)


Southern All Stars -- Itoshi no Ellie (いとしのエリー)

1 comment:

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.