Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, March 22, 2024

Masayoshi Takanaka -- Mambo No. 5 (Disco Dango)/Mambo No. 6

 

I've heard my fair share of music from the Caribbean, Mexico and Brazil and have enjoyed it all. That also includes Perez Prado's "Mambo No. 5", even if I had never heard of the title until quite recently. As soon as I hear the song, I immediately think of swivel hips and feet trying to trace a complicated series of steps on the dance floor. 

Thanks to that multi-record collection "50 Years Of Hits In Stereo" by RCA our family had, I was able to get my education in Prado's music early in life but "Mambo No. 5" wasn't one of the lessons. Still, this particular song is one of the most well-known instrumentals from Cuba that I know. Man, just watching those folks above has got me winded. OK, I'm going back to the buffet table.

Of course, something this catchy will always have cover versions. One from Japan was handled by musician Masayoshi Takanaka(高中正義)as his 2nd single. His even more peppery take on "Mambo No. 5" was released in February 1977 and was also a part of his 2nd album "TAKANAKA" which came out a month later. With the subtitle of "Disco Dango" (ahh...um, no), Takanaka's "Mambo No. 5" indeed has that disco sheen (and his signature guitar riffing) in his arrangement and Chris Mosdell even added some lyrics.

Takanaka must have enjoyed "Mambo No. 5" so much that a few years later, he even created his own "Mambo No. 6" for his 6th original album "T-WAVE" for release in June 1980. Created solely by the musician, this doesn't have the disco anymore but it does have more of a fusion approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.