Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, March 29, 2024

The Doobie Brothers -- What a Fool Believes

 

Happy Good Friday to all those who follow the statutory holiday. That's right...most of us are off today in the days leading to Easter which is arriving a little earlier than usual in 2024. As such, according to our own traditions on KKP, we'll be doing a special Reminiscings of Youth.

Keeping with the theme for urban contemporary on Fridays here on the blog, I wanted to go with something AOR or R&B from my youth. I found just the song...The Doobie Brothers' "What a Fool Believes". I ought to re-title it as "What a J-Canuck Believes" since it's taken me so long to get this up here as a ROY subject. I had actually assumed that Michael McDonald and his band were already represented on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" because McDonald has shown up on a number of ROYs in the past as a guest for other acts such as Kenny Loggins and Steely Dan, but this is the first official Doobie Brothers' appearance on KKP. I'm giving myself a Gibbs slap as penance.

Although "What a Fool Believes" first appeared in the band's 1978 debut album "Minute by Minute", the single version was released in January 1979. If anyone asked me for a typical Doobie Brothers' song, I would immediately point to this one. Created by McDonald and the aforementioned Loggins, it's got that famous keyboard hook which has acted as the aural logo for the Doobies all these years. That melody kinda mellows out the story behind the lyrics of a fellow trying to rekindle a romance with an old flame, only to find out that there hadn't even been a first romance in the first place. Along with the hook, there are the iconic McDonald vocals and the path that the music takes weaving between whimsical and elegant. "What a Fool Believes" hit No. 1 on both the American and Canadian charts.


Over the decades, there have been affectionate pokes at McDonald and the Doobies' sound. I know about McDonald's appearances on "Family Guy", but true to my age, I like to go back even further to "SCTV". It still kills me how Rick Moranis killed them. The wonderful thing is that both McDonald and Rick Beato referenced the two parodies involving the Doobie Brothers very magnanimously within the last couple of weeks.

As I said, "What a Fool Believes" was released in January 1979. Which Japanese singles did the same?

Akira Fuse -- Kimi wa Bara yorimo Utsukushii(君は薔薇よりも美しい)


Sachiko Kobayashi -- Omoide Zake (おもいで酒)


Kenji Sawada -- Casablanca Dandy (カサブランカ・ダンディ)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the good Friday post with some hits from 1979!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Just glad to finally get the Doobies up here.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I haven't listen to the Doobies in a while, so this was a nice treat!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.