Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, July 4, 2024

annie the clumsy -- I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire

 

I was reading "The Toronto Star" earlier today when I came across Page 1 in the Culture section and there I saw a couple of celebrities beaming at the camera. Both looked vaguely familiar to me (sorry, I don't really watch dramas of any sort anymore); the one on the left was Japanese actor Hidetoshi Nishijima(西島秀俊)and on the right was American actor Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones and one of the stars from "Parks and Recreation". They're both due to star in an Apple+ drama in about a week called "Sunny" which is some sort of sci-fi mystery-thriller taking place in Japan

The trailer does have some familiar faces from the geinokai with one surprise being Judy Ongg and another being YOU, both of whom have had their singing days and also plenty of appearances as tarento on TV. I have to say that YOU looks both dotty and psycho at the same time.

Another name I saw in the newspaper article was annie the clumsy who supposedly plays "...a hot bartender". Wait a minute! I know that name...she's appeared on the blog a couple of times now as a songster who has taken on hip-hop and some old-fashioned tunes on her ukulele . And to be honest, it was because of that name that I went to YouTube to look for any trailer for "Sunny". I kinda feel like a proud cousin telling everybody about her new shiny show.

In any event, here is her ukulele cover of the classic "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire", originally by The Inkspots in 1941. She does take on a snazzy old-fashioned appearance with the hairdo and glasses, and with that huge microphone, she may as well have truly appeared at NBC Studios in Manhattan way back in the day. Quite the nice mellow and chocolate-y vocals, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.