Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Charisma.com -- Kongara Girl(こんがらガール)

www.amazon.com

Some weeks ago, my project manager at my translation firm had sent me a request from a client to translate the lyrics for eclectic duo Charisma.com's breakthrough "Hate" (2013). So I thought, "Wow! Providence!" since I had actually written an article here on "Kayo Kyoku Plus"  back in 2015 on the song. However, providence popped a leak since within an hour, I got word from my manager that the client cancelled the request. C'est la vie!


Still there was some providence left apparently. I found out through the Wikipedia page for Charisma.com that the duo has gone on indefinite hiatus since the end of January this year since DJ Gonchi decided to leave showbiz to help out with her family's business. Relatively short but sweet time but they did leave an impression with their songs and videos. In any case, I'm now motivated to talk about another one of their songs.

As you can see at the top, there is that object that resembles a day-glo pillbug. Well, I didn't know about it until I saw the Charisma.com video above, but that's a Tangle Teezer, a detangling hairbrush that was first developed in the UK back in 2007. It's been doing quite well in terms of sales, apparently.

From looking at it, the Tangle Teezer looks absolutely perfect for the Japanese market. It looks slick and cute (that pillbug look) and just seems tailor-made to be put on shelves at Tokyu Hands. Somehow, MC Itsuka and DJ Gonchi got involved and made a tie-up song called "Kongara Girl" (Tangled Girl) for release in 2015 with a music video in which the duo provides a twisted take on the superhero genre. Let's say that there is a comical "Twilight Zone" ending.

MC Itsuka took care of words and music with Chrysanthemum Bridge also working on the latter. As seems to be the case with Charisma.com's songs, the corporate life is once again the punching bag as the video shows.


Now that Charisma.com has perhaps gone into J-Pop history, I hope that MC Itsuka still decides to stick around for a while at least. I think she can still provide lots of punch in the industry with her beats and rap. Besides, I can always use a Tangle Teezer myself for the sparrow's nest on my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.