Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Marcos V.'s special selection: TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE

Source: https://www.generasia.com/w/images/6/66/TGS_-_Never_ever_promo.jpg

If there’s one very consistent aidoru group nowadays, it’s TOKYO GIRLS’ STYLE (東京女子流), or TGS – to make things a little more simple. Even though they’ve never been my top aidoru group, they were one of the few from this more recent aidoru boom that kept my attention through the years. Here I present a selection of five songs I enjoy a lot from them, but I’m also excluding songs I’ve already talked about in the past, such as “Killing Me Softly” and “Partition Love”. J-Canuck have also covered a couple of their songs as well, such as “Tsuki no Kimagure” (月の気まぐれ) and their cover of trf’s “Overnight Sensation”.



Starting off with 2013 single “Unmei” (運命), I’ve always felt a little bit strange listening to it, since the girls were still young at the time, and the video can be a little bit sexy. However, the song is great per se and it’s an example of their early strong and luxurious funk sound. The instrumental can drag a little at some points, but I like it so much that I don’t even mind how long the song is. Also, there’s a dirty little keyboard solo before the song’s final pre-chorus and chorus that really elevates the whole thing, making it even sexier. In my opinion, this part could have been longer, but things are what they are.


After spending years with their traditional funky sound, TGS started changing things around in 2015, trying more contemporary and mainstream Western genres, such as EDM and Tropical House. Surprisingly, their offerings are great additions to the genres, even if they’re a tad bit saturated in the Western world. 2017’s “Predawn”, for example, is heavy in all the electronic distortions and the infamous Tropical House synth hook in the chorus, but, at the same time, it’s so emotive that I can’t help falling in love with it. Also, title is very suitable, since I can easily imagine myself listening it in predawn.


Well, this one is a solo song from member and leader of the group Mei Shoji (庄司芽生), but I still count as TGS, since it was included in their 2015 album “REFLECTION”. Just like “Predawn”, “Illusion” is also far from TGS’s early sound (this one is the remix included in the “REFLECTION” album, but an original disco/funk version of it exists as well), and here Mei is exploring House music. I like how it truly sounds as something that could be played at a British club, or something like that.


One of the catchiest songs on Earth, “Onnaji Kimochi” (おんなじキモチ) is TGS’s second single, and the one that got them their first bit of attention. Released back in 2010, it’s been a long way for the group, even losing one of its main members in late 2015, but the funky sound could still be heard, even in this childish song. After that, they would only improve their formula. Still, this is one of the most genuine J-Pop songs of the new aidoru era that was starting to develop in 2009~2010. And as a side note, one of my best friends loves to listen to this song in the car, which, apparently, drives his girfriend nuts.


Finishing this list, here's TGS kind of returning to their funky roots with their first single of 2018, while also leaving the Tropical House sound behind for a bit. In my opinion, "Last Romance" (ラストロマンス) is one of their best outputs in recent years, with a strong melody and killer 80s-styled electro-funk arrangement, resulting in a mature and very secure sound for them. I couldn’t be happier with this release, and it’s good to know we can always count with TGS for good pop music. They truly deserves to be more famous!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Marcos!

    Must thank you for that epic tour of time and genre with Tokyo Girls' Style. Funk, 80s, EDM, etc...quite the wide range of Style, and yep, I would agree that TGS should be getting more attention.

    I was wondering which one I would pick as my best but I couldn't...I actually like all of them. Wasn't aware that the girls could be so funky and after watching "Unmei" and "Predawn", my jaw dropped when I saw the 2010 "Onnaji Kimochi" and how young and innocent they all looked back then; still, there was a bit of that funk that would come out in full force later on.

    It's been an interesting several years when it comes to some of the more underground aidoru and even other pop acts. Yesterday, I received a shipment of CDs of bands that I would never have seen on "Music Station" or on the Kohaku Utagassen such as Blue Peppers and microstar, and they are really good. I think Urban Contemporary music is alive and well through different genres if not well-exposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck.

      For me, TGS is an interesting group because we can see how they continue to evolve. As opposed to Perfume, for example, which is a bit stale for years now, the girls from TGS are able to grow artistically (we can hear it in their voices and image). They also happen to release very solid pop music from time to time.

      I also agree with you that things are kind of changing these days, and I feel kind of lost some times, to be honest. I've not beem following the Japanese charts so closely these days, nor watching music shows (I only watch those year-end extravaganzas), but I can sense we're heading to a new kind of area when it comes to Japanese popular music. From what I've heard so far, I'm not that interested, since a lot of it sounds like a rehash of one or two decades before. However, I think some bands are pretty good, like Awesome City Club, for example. Still trying to figure out the appeal of Gen Hoshino, though.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Marcos.

      Yeah, I saw Perfume on the Kohaku last year and although they were trying to be a bit more different, I think they just couldn't seem to break out of their usual technopop-and-dance. Perhaps they have painted themselves into a corner after so many years.

      I wouldn't mind a return to more soulful solo singers as was the case in the 80s and the early 2000s. Awesome City Club has been fine and there have been some of those recent discoveries that I talked about such as Blue Peppers, Blu-Swing and microstar.

      I'm OK with Gen Hoshino although I suspect he may end up being a bit one-note. However you are not alone in your skepticism about him. My mother absolutely despises the man for some reason; she can't stand his singing or his acting. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm not a big fan of 00s style, so I'm not so positive when the J-Pop scene comes close to emulating that particular time. It's too much American-styled modern R&B and Urban/Hip-Hop for me to handle. I'm all in for the 80s, though, but that's just personal opinion.

      About Gen Hoshino, I'm totally on your mother's team. Really, I can't stand his songs (they're not bad per se, but so uninspired, bland and ready to be played in any drama). He's probably a lovely guy and all, but I'm having the hardest time 'swallowing' him as an artist. In my head, he's a diluted and boring version of Senri Oe (not only because of the suits, but the songs as well). Well, I should just stop bashing the guy... he's so friendly-like that I feel like a bad person doing it.

      Delete
    4. Yep, I'm still good for the 80s. Not a huge fan of hip-hop, but I still like the soul that came out during the 00s in Japan, and of course, back in the States during the 80s.

      Senri Oe and KAN definitely came to mind when I first heard Hoshino. His "Sun" and "Koi" were fine enough although I have to admit that they do sound similar. My worry is that in terms of music, that will be the only thing he can offer: happy pop and some skippy dancing to go with it. In a way, I think Perfume is kinda headed in that direction.

      I'm sure Hoshino is a good guy but he chose to put himself into the public spotlight. He's gotta face his detractors along with his fans. :)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.