Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Keizo Nakanishi -- Diamond Rain(ダイヤモンド・レイン)


As a lot of the readers for the blog have probably figured out, I have a pretty wide spectrum of singers and songs that I like. However, there are few artists whose general body of work have provided joy. I mean, every singer or band that has been covered on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" have given joyful songs but I can count on one hand the number of performers whose discography I usually equate with that happy emotion. Kohmi Hirose(広瀬香美), Sing Like Talking and PSY-S are on three of my fingers.


The one other finger has Keizo Nakanishi(中西圭三)on it. Of course, he has done melancholy ballads in his career but generally speaking, when I think of this singer-songwriter, his works provide a fine cheer-up. Case in point, this track from his 2nd album "Yell" (March 1992) titled "Diamond Rain".

It was never placed on the BEST compilation that I have for him, "Singles", and that's too bad. It simply comes across as one gloriously happy tune...which is ironic, since Masao Urino's(売野雅勇)lyrics have Nakanishi singing about the woman who not only got away but sent the poor fellow an invitation to her wedding. I don't think this is a consolation prize. Thank heavens I'm more of a melody guy to begin with. And believe me, I tend to believe in the joyful music with the happy soul and horns along with Keizo's great voice.  He and Takao Konishi(小西貴雄)were responsible for that.

"Yell" peaked at No. 4 on Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.