Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Bonnie Pink -- Tonight, the Night


Long time, no see, Bonnie Pink! As I mentioned before in my last article about her, "A Perfect Sky", her videos often have had some form of water working with her.


I've seen singer-songwriter Bonnie Pink before in at least one very early music video in which she was sporting that pink hair, but it was this video for her 16th single from January 2003 "Tonight, the Night" that finally had me seeing the whole thing, and it's the one that I will always associate with her.

She no longer had the pink do but she was wearing the pink jumpsuit as she was swimming around in the H2O, the first time I've seen her in the liquid. Her performance in there also reminded me of the 1980 sci-fi film "Altered States" with William Hurt simply because I couldn't help but be taken back to those isolation tanks. As a kid, I remember those things being a thing for a while since they were supposed to have some sort of therapeutic effect (back to the womb and all that) while floating in a seemingly dark and quiet place. However, Bonnie broke all those rules by sloshing around.


"Tonight, the Night" is said to have been the breakthrough song for Bonnie Pink as it peaked on Oricon at No. 29. It's definitely got some style as she sings about encouraging/giving a swift kick to a friend to get out of his/her malaise and enjoy an evening. I definitely love those drums and piano hitting away there, acting as that clarion call for fun.

Getting back to the music video, I guess the water thing could have been all about refreshing oneself and becoming free to swim around perhaps. The song was also a track on Bonnie Pink's 6th album "Present" which was released a month after the single release. It actually broke the Top 10 by hitting No. 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.