Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 3, 2019

Otomaru/Chiemi Eri -- Kushimoto Bushi(串本節)


Traditional Japanese folk songs, or min'yo(民謡), have never been part of my expertise, and I believe Noelle is more of an expert there than I am. However, when I was watching NHK's walking tour show "Buratamori"(ブラタモリ...Strolling With Tamori) last Sunday, tarento emeritus Tamori(タモリ)and his co-host were in Wakayama Prefecture, the home of my ancestors. I noticed that either Tamori or one of the local scholars remarked on a song called "Kushimoto Bushi" (Kushimoto Song) that is very representative of the prefecture.

As I said, min'yo is a genre of Japanese music that I don't know very much about. However, I think part of the raison d'etre for "Kayo Kyoku Plus" is not only introducing people to the songs that I love but also for me to learn more about the songs that I'm unaware of. Moreover, "Buratamori" is one NHK program that I have yet to reference when it comes to music, so this is my opportunity right here and right now.



According to the Wikipedia definition, a lot of min'yo describes life in the workplace. However, it seems with "Kushimoto Bushi", there isn't much of an emphasis on work but more of the idyllic life in the Kushimoto area of Wakayama. I did find a translation of the lyrics at Narkive that you can quickly peruse.

I couldn't find out when "Kushimoto Bushi" had been first written and composed but one rendition of the folk song was recorded in 1949 by the singer Otomaru(音丸)who performed in the Taisho and Showa eras. Otomaru who was born as either Matsuko or Mitsuko Nagai(永井満津子)in 1906. From an early age, she was trained in traditional dancing and a certain style of narrative for kabuki dances. However, when she turned 25, her beloved younger brother passed away and she fell into despair. But she recovered when she discovered the joy of min'yo. Otomaru then made her official debut as a singer in 1934 and then came up with hit songs. Her discography can be separated into regular kayo and min'yo.

Otomaru passed away from heart failure at the age of 69 in 1976.


One thing that I hadn't expected when looking for various renditions of "Kushimoto Bushi" was that there had been a cover version that took on a spicier tone of Latin jazz. This was the version that Chiemi Eri(江利チエミ)recorded back in 1958, and instead of thinking of a traditional dance around a grand elevated stage, I immediately thought hip-swiveling salsa

January 11 2021: I've also done a follow-up of Eri's version because of a most unusual rendition.

2 comments:

  1. Chiemi Eri and the Tokyo Cuban Boys just crushed the 1958 version of this song. I wish there were dozens of songs with this mix of minyo and latin with as fitting a singer as her.

    The Man in the High Castle and Blue Eye Samurai have used her latin/folk combo music.

    The Minyo Crusaders are pretty good for this feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Yeah, I recently discovered the Minyo Crusaders. They did a great job with "Kaigara Bushi".

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.