Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, May 9, 2019

NUTS -- Sweet Summer Special


This afternoon was fairly arduous...not because of work because I didn't have any. Instead we had to go to a doctor's appointment on the far end of the city with all of the horrible Toronto traffic, go through a battery of tests before heading back to our end through some really heavy cloudbursts. Plus, our first choice of fast food restaurant had a power outage although luckily there was a Wendy's nearby. All in all, I'm happy that I'm home.


Nope, it definitely didn't feel like summer outside and not many would argue with me when I say that it was barely spring. So allow me to bring in "Sweet Summer Special" as something from the 1990s for you and as a bit of a tonic for me following much wind and precipitation today.

"Sweet Summer Special" was the 7th and final single released in June 1996 by the duo NUTS. I have written about them once before through their 1995 5th single "Kaze wo Kanjite ~ my precious time"(風を感じて), and the two singles are quite different. Whereas the earlier single is reminiscent of the breezy mid-tempo pop songs from the earlier part of the decade, "Sweet Summer Special" is much more uptempo in a 90s groovy disco way. Written by the duo of vocalist Tomomi Saito(斎藤友美)and keyboardist Akihiko Hirama(平間あきひこ)along with Haruka Kayama*(夏山遥), and composed by Hirama, I just thought that this was something along the lines of Kohmi Hirose(広瀬香美)or Tetsuya Komuro(小室哲哉). The latter person I mention since there is even a rapper of sorts in the song that sounds suspiciously like DJ Koo from 1990s unit TRF.

Apparently, "Sweet Summer Special" was the theme song for a movie titled "XⅡ-1118 PROMISE THE MOON" and also a commercial song for some anti-inflammatory lotion.

*There are a lot of readings for the kanji for that last name so I just picked Kayama but if someone needs to correct me, please do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.