Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Yuuya Mori -- Soundtrack for "Seitokai Yakuindomo"(生徒会役員共)



Before I decided to write this particular article today, I had been wondering why I was enjoying myself so much with this anime that first had its start as a manga in 2007 before making the leap to TV in 2010 and then to the movie screens. It is definitely raunchy and hilarious in a way that would make even Eric Cartman on "South Park" blurt out in his wheezy voice "WHOA! You Japanese are really SICK!...especially you, Naruko!". But I've seen some similarly "Porky's"-like behavior on other anime on YouTube and on the wide screen in my anime buddy's house this decade but those shows never quite adhered to me like "Seitokai Yakuindomo" (Student Council Officers) has.

The crazy thing is that I have never seen "Seitokai Yakuindomo" on TV or DVD as of yet. It's just been through the various excerpts on YouTube that have appeared so much on so many videos that I can say with some confidence that I may have already seen almost all of the two series, multiple OVAs and even the movie without getting out of my chair, despite the disjointedness of my viewing experience.


Yes, the jokes can have me laughing as much as they can have me dropping my jaw, but I was still wondering why I've been stuck on these particular pervy high school student council officers. Well, there is still that family element among them providing a certain happy beating heart. But I think the other thing is that the soundtrack that composer Yuuya Mori(森悠也)has presented for "Seitokai Yakuindomo" has also enhanced my enjoyment of the show. I did mention in my first article on a tune from that soundtrack that it was run-of-the-mill. Well, I was wrong! Even TV Tropes has mentioned "The series has songs that are far more epic than any Sex Comedy has a right to be".

That first article was for "Party Shimashou"(パーティーしましょ)which I've often associated with the character of the soft-spoken Chihiro Uomi(魚見チヒロ), and I've liked it so much that I'm also including it again above.


"Seitokai Yakuindomo no March ~ Acoustic"(生徒会役員共のマーチ~アコースティック...March of the Student Council Officers) is, as the title suggests, the proud overall theme for the group consisting of straight man Vice President Takatoshi Tsuda(津田タカトシ), Napoleonic Suzu Hagimura(萩村スズ)and sex-joke-spouting President Shino Amakusa(天草シノ)and Aria Shichijou(七条アリア). I've realized that the entire soundtrack for "Seitokai Yakuindomo" is just about as good as any soundtrack for a live-action J-Drama, and this march especially sounds like something that has been used for a couple of Fuji-TV dramas that I enjoyed back in the 1990s.


One reason that I've enjoyed the soundtrack is that Mori hasn't hesitated to bring in all sorts of genres. Along with the bossa jazz of "Party Shimashou" and the marching band from the preceding track, there is also some happy-go-lucky sunny pop reminiscent of some sitcom music from the 1970s. "Seitokai no Nichijou"(生徒会の日常...Daily Life of the Student Council) which does convey the feeling of the everyday life of the student council at Ousai Academy, as warped as it often has been. I just realized that it does incorporate the feeling of "Seitokai Yakuindomo no March" and a version of "Party Shimashou".


Of course, not all of the tracks have been put up on YouTube, but I felt that I needed to include this track called "Sonna Toko..."(そんなトコ...Not There). "Seitokai Yakuindomo" is a series filled with sex jokes, after all, and "Sonna Toko..." is a perfect example of music for such a show. In fact, the track is just another reflection of how Japanese TV has often used the musical cue of 1950s cool jazz via moaning saxophone or muted trumpet to hint at something sexy. I hope that Miles Davis and Bill Evans aren't rolling in their graves too much at this revelation. The above video has an excerpt of the track in a classic sample of the show's humour.

(scroll down the page for an excerpt)

I'm not surprised that a lot of fans absolutely adore the intrepid if sleazy head of the Newspaper Club, Ranko Hata(畑ランコ). She's just so quirky, and as voiced by Satomi Arai(新井里美), she sounds like her own eccentric grandmother. Of course, she gets her own theme via "Paparazzi?"(ぱぱらっち?), a technopoppy piece that fits her perfectly, and especially that intro sounds like a tune that would introduce a news bulletin or farm report (we have had some weird theme music for farm reports in Ontario).


To be honest, I don't recall hearing this particular track "Moe yo, Takatoshi"(燃えよタカトシ...Get Fired Up, Takatoshi) as it's not often that I've seen Takatoshi Tsuda get his flame on in front of the rest of the council since he's often their punching bag. Still, it's a song that has me thinking of tokusatsu heroes and American detective theme tunes from way back when.


Light and happy saxophone is in plenty of supply on "Natsu da! Umi da! Drive da!!"(夏だ!海だ!ドライブだ!!...It's Summer! It's the Sea! It's the Drive!!)which was probably provided during the gang's visit to the beach. It's bright and sparkly smooth jazz heading down to the coast.


Finally, this is "Boku no Takaramono"(僕のたからもの...My Treasure) which I think is another variation on "Party Shimashou" but with a bluesy saxophone taking the lead in another smooth jazz arrangement. I've heard this a few times, including a scene where Prez Amakusa thinks that she has just gotten an indirect confession of love from VP Tsuda. Of course, within a few seconds, that balloon is deflated utterly.

Apparently, the original 2010 soundtrack for "Seitokai Yakuindomo" came in two parts, a Shino-type and an Aria-type. Anyways, drop by for the dirty jokes, stay for the music.



2 comments:

  1. I'm fairly new to anime/manga, an offshoot of research for book features for an Anderson Entertainment Comic Anthology. So I've come to Neon Genesis Evangelion (an amazing series in itself, as well as the manga) quite late in the day. Then I found the blu-ray of Seitokai Yakuindomo quite by chance in a local shop.

    Honestly, I was not sure what to expect, certainly not the humour, by equal parts incredibly dirty but also side-splittingly hilarious. Whoever says comedy rarely translates across language and culture, SYD is the exception. Whoever translated it for the subs gets an amazing balance (my only quibble being they are on-screen so quickly, I have to sit with the remote at hand to go back and read them properly).

    Perhaps it's my own quirky sense of humour that makes SYD gel for me but I hope I'm not the exception in the English-speaking fandom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Shaqui, and not only welcome to the blog but also to the wonderful and wacky world of anime. I'm in my tenth year myself. I'm more for the comedy and the comforting slice-of-life anime so I've never really cottoned onto "Evangelion" although I know how legendary it is.

      But as I've described above, "Seitokai Yakunindomo" has been lots of fun for me, and it certainly delivers on the raunch. Another one that's in the same vein has been the relatively recent "Asobi Asobase". In both cases, there are seiyuu in there that have since gone onto even bigger fame.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.