Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Yumi Matsutoya & Carl Smoky Ishii -- Ai no Wave(愛のWAVE)

 

Kome Kome Club(米米CLUB)made an appearance on last week's "Uta Kon"(うたコン)and leader Tatsuya "Carl Smoky" Ishii(石井竜也)was his usual cheerfully goofy self, and during his chat session with the hosts, it was announced that the band was celebrating its 35th anniversary in show business. I was just finishing off my freshman year at U of T back in 1985 when K2C started its run of epic entertainment. Many congratulations to the band and I'm hoping that it's going to keep on entertaining the masses.

Anyways, I was leafing through one of the "Young Song" inserts that come with the monthly "Myojo" magazines. I still retain a few of those as they appear more and more like archaeological pop cultural artifacts, but getting back on track, I was looking through one of them when I saw that there was this most unusual duet between two vivacious singer-songwriters. Never did I imagine that the aforementioned Carl Smoky and Yumi Matsutoya(松任谷由実)actually team up on a song, but they certainly did and I took the picture that serves as the article photo at the top.

Released in November 1992, "Ai no Wave" (Love Wave) had both Ishii and Yuming creating and recording this one and only single together with Hiroshi Shinkawa(新川博)behind the arrangement as the theme for a Fuji-TV campaign. It's a fun song to be sure but I think the news that the long time Queen of New Music and Mr. Charisma were working together also helped gained its No. 1 ranking on Oricon. And apparently, according to Yuming in the concert video above, the two of them had performed "Ai no Wave" just once live on the noon-hour show "Waratte Ii Tomo!"(笑っていいとも!)before Carl Smoky popped up that night at the concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.