Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, October 12, 2020

Tatsuro Yamashita -- Darlin'

 

In addition to the title track and "Magic Ways", Tatsuro Yamashita's(山下達郎)1984 "Big Wave" soundtrack also includes a number that I'd thought was one of Tats' own big magical concoctions. "Darlin'" has got the usual tropes for one of his songs: that summery feeling, the grand vocals by the man himself, and those layered background vocals. 

Well, I'm going to have that dish of crow right now since it's actually a cover of The Beach Boys' 1967 original from their "Wild Honey" album. Yamashita has been so in thrall to the legendary American rock band that whenever I hear a new Tats song, I end up wondering whether it's a Tats original or a cover of a Beach Boys song. In any case, "Darlin'" by Mike Love and Brian Wilson is another great tune with that brassy beat and a fine addition to "Big Wave".

Of course, I've known about The Beach Boys since I was in diapers thanks to their appearances on TV and their frequent inclusions on K-Tel records. So I know about their hits such as "Good Vibrations" and "Surfin' USA" but I can't say that I've been one of their hardcore fans and as such, I'm probably going to be discovering songs that I haven't yet heard. "Darlin'" is one of those songs and hearing both the original and the cover, I think the only disadvantage is the fact that it's just a little too short. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.