Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Takashi Sato -- Rose no Wine(ローゼのワイン)

 

I remember the first Takashi Sato(佐藤隆)song that I profiled back in early 2017. It was his debut single "Peking de Choshoku wo" (北京で朝食を)from 1980 which was this appealingly quirky combination of City Pop and exotic kayo. Because of this, I kept an eye out for his other creations.


Always nice hearing different styles from a particular singer, Sato indeed did do that to my ears with his "Rose no Wine" (Rose Wine), a track from his August 1982 4th album "P.S. I Love You". Instead of City Pop and exotic kayo, I get some Eiichi Ohtaki(大滝詠一)and Motoharu Sano(佐野元春)through the guitar and keyboards. To add some other stuff, I could even hear some Donald Fagen via his "New Frontier" in some of those piano rumbles, although Fagen's landmark album "The Nightfly" wouldn't actually be released for another couple of months.

Regrettably, I couldn't find the lyrics by Takashi Matsumoto(松本隆), who was also behind "Peking de Choshoku", with Sato's good-time melody but from what I could catch, it seems like the singer is playing the fun-loving summer playboy. Certainly looking at the album cover for "P.S. I Love You" above, I think he is indeed playing it up to the hilt.😉

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.