Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 11, 2020

Masaki Matsubara -- Hot Dog

 

I read in the late Masaki Matsubara's(松原正樹)J-Wiki file that along with his time as part of the backup band for vocal trio Hi-Fi Set(ハイ・ファイ・セット), he also participated as one of the regular musicians performing on TV and radio music shows starting from 1978. As a result, his name and work started getting bounced about leading to invitations by recording companies so he became quite the in-demand studio musician.

Not surprisingly then, he was able to cut his first solo album "Ruumu Sando"(流宇夢サンド)in that same year. I can't be sure what a ruumu sandwich is, but if it's indeed what is depicted on the cheery cover of the album, then I'd be happy to take a bite.

As well, I would love to partake in that first track "Hot Dog" and the real thing on a weekly basis. Y'know, I realize that probably some listeners will disagree with me, but I think that "Hot Dog" is one of the rare songs which I've heard that can hit the Labels' entire group of genres starting with J as in J-Rock, J-R and B, and J-AOR plus jazz. Matsubara, who did indeed compose the song, runs through the gamut as if he had won a contest to run through a record shop within 5 minutes to collect everything he wanted.

I guess that I'll have to put on my melody sommelier's cap and as I listen to "Hot Dog", there is that funk and fusion but also some of that jazzy improvisation that illustrates Matsubara and the gang having some fun in the recording booth. Moreover, as we get further along into the song, I swear that there is a part that reminds me of what Henry Mancini was providing on television soundtracks back in the 60s or 70s. Of course, Matsubara gets his literal licks in as this "Hot Dog" seems to have all of the works on top of it including those fried onions, grated cheese and spicy mustard among other toppings.

Geez, I had just been watching an NHK vignette about visiting a German town and the host was having a massive sausage in a bun. Seeing that and making that description in the last sentence in the previous paragraph haven't done my growling stomach any favours.

2 comments:

  1. Great find J. 'Hot Dog' reminded me more of Mike Post than Henry Mancini. Either way you slice it Masaki Matsubara has great sonic tastes and superb chops on the guitar. As soon as track 2, 'Magic Mushroom Salad' hit it immediately brought to mind Masayoshi Takanaka. Further listening reveals a wide range of influences from across the jazz-fusion spectrum. 'Ruumu Sando' is a music adventure worth diving into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michael. Good to hear from you again and yep, although I forgot to mention him, there is some of that Mike Post in there, too.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.