Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, December 20, 2020

Masa (Sora Satoh) -- No Matter What, No Matter Where

 

Over the past several months, I've been subscribing to a number of YouTube channels thanks to this pandemic just to provide some form of edutainment whether it be related to cooking, sci-fi and music. One channel has been "Masa -Neo CityPop-" in which singer-songwriter Masa, nee Mamoru Sato, has provided the songwriter's view on what makes Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎)songs tick. I figure and I think that perhaps Masa himself has figured that there are people out there who not only want to hear Tats' hits but also try to play them as well...or even create some originals in City Pop. As much as I want to give the musicologist's or musician's angle on my favourite genre, I can't; I'm just an avid listener of the music like you folks are. The last time I actually picked up a musical instrument, Ronald Reagan was still in his first term as President of the United States (please don't carbon-date me).

Therefore, I'm very glad that Masa has been on YouTube to provide his tutorials and theory on those very songs. Now I'm also happy to state that he has put out his form of City Pop with the bluesy twist, thanks to his song "No Matter What, No Matter Where"

It is a most relaxing song and so it's good that I'm putting this up near the midnight hour before I head to bed. There is that guitar of his which has me thinking of Yamashita and the spacey feelings of "No Matter What, No Matter Where" bring the song somewhat closer to the City Pop/Future Funk borderline. At the same time, though, I also pick up on the AOR from the late 1970s such as the band Pages which I used for a Reminiscings of Youth article back in September. However, in terms of the pure sound, my favourite part is the echoing which especially had me thinking of that AOR and the use of the koto...very Yutaka Yokokura(横倉裕).

(Sorry but the video has been taken down)

Masa has also given his feelings on "No Matter What, No Matter Where" including what the origins of the song are. Interestingly enough, I've heard and probably covered a few tunes on KKP which originated from wedding parties attended by singers and/or have been played at those parties, but I'm already giving part of the plot away here. Anyways, have a look at the video.

Also, my congratulations to Masa and all the best on future songs to be released by him.

Finally, to kill two birds with one stone, Rocket Brown has provided another Xmas podcast so head on over to Come Along Radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.