Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, December 21, 2020

Ryoko Moriyama -- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

 

Well, the hammer has come down...the entire province of Ontario has been ordered into lockdown as of Boxing Day. Frankly speaking, though, I had been expecting something even harsher by our Premier but the restrictions didn't really sound all that different. Then I recollected that Toronto has been in its own lockdown for the past month. Now it's just the rest of the province that's following suit.

I figure that folks will be somewhat bittersweetly wishing each other a Merry Christmas over phone or Zoom rather than getting together for the Holidays this year. That is indeed the case with my family but we're hanging in there.

Therefore, to start off the final number of days before the 25th, I'm going with the old chestnut "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" which rather covers the story of spending a Xmas apart from loved ones. Speaking of covers, folk singer (and a singer that I believe has one of the purest voices in kayo) Ryoko Moriyama(森山良子)gives a wonderful version of the Judy Garland classic created by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane. Compared with the epic orchestral version done by Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎)in his "Season's Greetings" album, Moriyama's take is more of the intimate jazz club variety. There's always something about a jazz marimba that demands that it be surrounded by a small classy joint.

Moriyama did an Xmas album herself in November 1981, titled succinctly "The Christmas Album" which carries this song. Many thanks once again to J-Xmas song expert Scott for recommending her earlier today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to find it on YouTube. She does a great job with it, although John Denver and Rolf's will always be my favorite. We'll likely be watching "Meet Me In St. Louis" later today, so we'll get to hear Judy Garland's version as well. It's definitely a fitting song this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot of covers of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", but I always prefer the somewhat maudlin versions (yep, I actually have heard the cheerful takes) since I think that was the original point of the song.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.