Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Mitsuko Horie -- Oide White X'mas(おいで White X'mas)

 

I'm not sure what the situation has been of late for those traditional Xmas cartoons and Rankin & Bass stop-motion presentations, but when I was a kid, it was a given that they would be all over the channels. Outside of "A Charlie Brown Christmas", the one that I've known the best is the hour-long "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" with the vets from old Tinseltown, Fred Astaire and Mickey Rooney. It was always heartwarming watching Kris Kringle when he was a young man fighting the imperialistic Burgermeister Meisterburger.

Now, just imagine if the life of Santa Claus and his family were made into a regular weekly anime series spanning between October and March. Well, that is indeed what was done back starting from 1984 when Fuji-TV broadcast "Mori no Tonto-tachi"(森のトントたち). Known in English as "Elves of the Forest", the show depicted jolly ol' Santa and his elves living life large in a Finnish forest with the rest of the denizens.

I came across this one song from the soundtrack devised by Takeo Watanabe(渡辺岳夫). Although it's neither the opening or closing theme, it's a pretty jaunty number sung by anison singer/seiyuu Mitsuko Horie(堀江美都子)who I have just written about last week for another anime theme song. "Oide White X'mas" (Come On, White Christmas) is about what I would expect for a J-Xmas tune for the kids: light and positive vocals by Horie and optimistic/industrious melody by Watanabe with lyrics by Machiko Ryu(竜真知子).

I'm gathering that the video below is the Spanish-language version of "Mori no Tonto-tachi" since I couldn't find the original Japanese show.

2 comments:

  1. Mitsuko Horie and Yoshimi Iwasaki performing Candy Candy.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyDAnUJXLjQ

    When I was a kid, I used to have a tape with the Sinbad soundtrack. Probably my earliest memory of Japanese music.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCynLM1PAz8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jim.

      Ah, nothing warms the nostalgia nerves than a "Candy Candy" rendition. For me, my earliest memory of Japanese music for kids was probably the theme song for "Kamen Rider". https://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2012/10/masato-shimon-lets-go-rider-kick-theme.html

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.