Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 11, 2020

Piper -- Starlight Ballet

 

My first article on the AOR band Piper was back in May 2014 when I tackled the title track on "Summer Breeze" (1983) which, as the title would suggest, had that feeling of enjoying that seasonal day on the beach.

Well, with their 1985 album "Lovers Logic", it all starts off with "Starlight Ballet", written by Akihiro Shoji(庄司明弘)and composed by vocalist Keisuke Yamamoto(山本圭右). This is more of an early evening number with its mellow groove punctuated by some rattling keyboards and Yamamoto's just-as-mellow delivery. That picture on the album cover helps in the image. Overall, there is something in "Starlight Ballet" that reminds me of a song that I heard back in the late 1970s but for the life of me, I can't remember the band or the title.

My only bugbear about the song is that Yamamoto pronounces the word "ballet" with a hard t so it sounds as if he were describing the most cosmic election slip ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.