Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 20, 2023

Kengo Kurozumi -- My Sweet Lady

 

A bit of an announcement here since Rocket Brown and I will be working together once more on his podcast "Come Along Radio" via Mixcloud for the first time in several months. We'll be going live at 9:30 am Pacific Time/12:30 pm Eastern (provided I finish lunch fast enough) Saturday October 21st 2023. The topics that we will be covering are the legacy of singer-songwriter Shinji Tanimura(谷村新司)who passed away earlier on the 8th, Tetsuji Hayashi's(林哲司)upcoming concert on November 5th, and then we'll be going over singer-composer Kengo Kurozumi's(黒住憲五)October 1982 debut album "Again". Coincidentally, the 21st will mark 41 years exactly since the album was put onto record store shelves.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to procure my own copy of "Again" but luckily some generous souls have been able to upload the album onto YouTube so I've been doing some listening to all of the tracks in preparation. I've covered some of the tracks, actually, in the past: "Lusia" and "Pastel Love" which was my first KKP posting on Kurozumi.

Well, this Kurozumi article will be on "My Sweet Lady" which was his 1982 single ("Lusia" was the B-side). Composed by the singer, written by Akira Ohtsu(大津あきら)and arranged by Masaki Matsubara(松原正樹), "My Sweet Lady" has had me thinking of some of those 80s West Coast AOR songs, and singers such as Christopher Cross and even Neil Sedaka because of that first verse sounding a bit like "Calendar Girl". There's nothing like a wailing electric guitar to get visions of mullets and skinny ties once more into my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.