Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, October 15, 2023

Yui Nishiwaki -- Shichi-gatsu no Ame nara(7月の雨なら)

 

I'm kinda gobsmacked right now on realizing that although I've had singer-songwriter Yui Nishiwaki(西脇唯)represented on the blog since 2016, she's always been included as just the songwriter for other artists. For instance, she composed Hiroko Moriguchi's(森口博子)"ETERNAL WIND~Hohoemi wa Hikaru Kaze no Naka~"(ほほえみは光る風の中)in 1991 which helped earn the singer-TV personality the title of Gundam Oneesan. As well, I have to admit that I actually have Nishiwaki's 1998 Xmas album "Noel〜yui's winter collection〜" but the songs never quite clicked with me for the most part. I'll have to give them another go after so many years.


Well, allow me some redemption then. It's interesting all of the songs that I have posted thus far which were composed by Nishiwaki had all been released before the lady herself actually put out her own official debut single in May 1993 under her kanji name. "Shichi-gatsu no Ame nara" (July Rain) is a dramatic pop song about impending doom over a romantic relationship that was used as one of the many ending themes for the late-night information variety program "Tonight" on TV Asahi, although I think that it could also have sufficed as a theme song for a J-Drama. Arranged by Nobuyuki Shimizu(清水信之), "Shichi-gatsu no Ame nara" went as high as No. 25 on Oricon.

Nishiwaki released most of her own discography in the 1990s and of course, she's provided many songs for other singers over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.