Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 31, 2021

Haruko Kuwana -- Chance

 

As I type this, there are less than six hours left before my family, myself and the eastern part of North America enter 2022. I won't mind seeing 2021 leaving for good but we've been warned that January in the new year may not be too pleasant in terms of the pandemic.

Under these circumstances, why not go for something that's very listenable and enjoyable? It's been a while since I've seen singer-songwriter Haruko Kuwana(桑名晴子), so let's have a go at her "Chance" from her May 1979 sophomore album "Show me your smile". Written and composed by the singer herself, I've seen one comment comparing "Chance" to a Japanese cousin of anything that Earth Wind & Fire were whipping up at the time. However from what I've heard in the arrangement, I get more of that Cheryl Lynn disco vibe, perhaps along the lines of her "Got To Be Real". I know that Dreams Come True's "Kessen wa Kin'youbi" (決戦は金曜日)has paid some tribute to it.

Regardless of the influences, it's a mellow strut down Chuo Dori that even includes some vocal harmonization and a smooth guitar solo. Who wouldn't want to get their chance to take a walk arm-in-arm with Ms. Kuwana?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.