Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Yujiro Ishihara -- White Christmas

 

We'll be starting our regularly scheduled KKP broadcasting day with something seasonal.

Back in November, I was listening to Scott's "Holly Jolly X'mas" which focused on Yujiro Ishihara's(石原裕次郎)1966 "Xmas Carol" where I made my re-acquaintance with his version of "When the Saints Go Marching In". Not to mock any Tough Guy fans but the sight of the cover of the legend serving turkey instead of punching them out was a bit ironic although I do appreciate the sentiment of the Season.

Of course, "When the Saints Go Marching In" isn't a Xmas tune at all, so I said that I would cover at least one of the more Xmas-y tracks on "Xmas Carol", and sure enough, today here is Ishihara's take on the Irving Berlin classic "White Christmas". Now, his version isn't the first version of "White Christmas" to make it onto the blog; that distinction has been held by Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎)whose own cover is an inspiring acapella performance.

Ishihara's version is more of what I expected was the usual rendition by standard crooners like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin back in those TV Christmas specials of theirs. There is the orchestra backing him up with the traditional quiet arrangement to have listeners think about what to be thankful for during this season. I have to say that the Tough Guy is quite the Sentimental Guy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.