Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 31, 2021

Yukoh (Kyosuke) Kusunoki -- Fun Night

 

I hardly do a lot of double takes when it comes to this blog, but I had to do so here.

Almost three years ago, I was swooning a fair bit after discovering singer-songwriter Kyosuke Kusunoki's(楠木恭介)1985 "Just Tonight" album. The tracks were sweet and silky urban contemporary at their best in Japan, and aside from the beard and mustache, Kusunoki looked quite preppy. I swear that the right hand that's not showing on the cover of "Just Tonight" must have been holding a bottle of Perrier or a pink yuppie-friendly cardigan.

But then, some months later, I come across this other album called "Choose Me" from 1987 by a fellow named Yukoh Kusunoki(楠木勇有行). The guy on the cover there looked completely different and since the name Kusunoki is neither supremely common nor supremely rare, I assumed that there was another singer with that last name. 

Uh-uh. It's the same guy.😮 According to J-Wiki, Yukoh Kusunoki is the singer's original name while Kyosuke was the 1985 stage name that he took. I mean, did this guy regenerate like a Time Lord between 85 and 87?! It was like seeing him go from Bobby Caldwell to Gino Vannelli and I just don't mean the appearance. The first track from "Choose Me", "Fun Night", still has that urban contemporary nature but it's now amped up with funk and rock. I don't see any Perrier or fluffy cardigan around Yukoh; it's more like a leather jacket and a six-pack of beer. However, the vocals are still familiar. The 1987 Kusunoki composed "Fun Night" while Jessie provided the lyrics about that special Friday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.