Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, December 26, 2021

Mami Kikuchi -- Shimauma ni Notta Secretary(縞馬に乗ったセクレタリー)

 

Thus far, there have been more Mami Kikuchi(菊地真美)contributions on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" as a songwriter rather than a singer. In fact, I only wrote about one where she is behind the mike back in the middle of 2019 for her City Pop "Neo Silk Road"(ネオ・シルクロード). That was a track from her 2nd album "Morning Dew" in 1982.

I did mention about her debut album, also from the same year, "Shimauma ni Notta Secretary"(縞馬に乗ったセクレタリー ...The Secretary who Rode a Zebra), and here is the actual title track which begins the album (the video actually contains Side A). The title itself gave me some pause and the song itself is some great hook. Punctuated by some peppy percussion and chorus work, this is one appealingly quirky tune that has its piano taking us on quite a pop adventure through Africa apparently. Perhaps it's not that surprising then that Akiko Yano(矢野顕子)was the composer while Kikuchi took care of the lyrics.

Just from that title track, I am curious about acquiring my own copy of "Shimauma ni Notta Secretary" for what other wonders I can find. Already, the second track "Walkman Baby" has my attention, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.