Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 10, 2021

Monari Wakita -- Gozigen Lover-Joi

 

I have to say that one of the places in Japan that I've never dared to enter is the love hotel. Television has been helpful in showing what they look inside but...uh, well, I never had the reason to check into one for a "rest" or a "stay". All I can remark is that the structures must be something that architects like to come up with on a lark. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen one that looks like a castle out of a Walt Disney fantasy and another hotel that resembles a UFO. But the largest conglomeration of love hotels seems to be in Shibuya if we're talking about just Tokyo.

And that seems to be the setting for Monari Wakita's(脇田もなり)"Gozigen Lover-Joi", a track from her 2nd album "Ahead!" released in July 2018. Quite fitting, may I add, since the melody by Jun Sasaki(佐々木潤)is all kinds of slinky and funky while Wakita is slightly writhing on that round bed (I guess they really do come in all shapes in love hotels). Not sure what the title is up to, but the lyrics by Momoko Suzuki(鈴木桃子)is about a couple getting all invitingly lovey-dovey whether it be a "rest" or a "stay". 

Of course, Wakita, being a graduate from the urban contemporary aidoru group Especia, is all about the newer form of City Pop and the downtown beats. 

2 comments:

  1. J, You missed out on one of the best parts of Japan! The very seediness of the place added to the mystique, or taboo as it were. While the "Hotels" can come in all shapes, sizes, themes, etc. All the rotating beds, laser light shows, wall-to-wall mirrors all seemed a distraction to me as I preferred the simple, utilitarian layout. In my humble opinon, of course.
    Perhaps you can do a "Love Hotel" themed blog post??

    JN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, James.

      At the very least, it would have been an interesting experience from an interior designer's point of view. :)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.