Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 17, 2021

Miho Morikawa -- Today

 

It was only a few days ago that I wrote up an article on a Sumiko Yamagata(やまがたすみこ)song titled "TODAY". Well, once again, I'm taking care of "Today" today but the completely different song is provided by pop singer-songwriter Miho Morikawa(森川美穂).

This "Today" is the final track on Morikawa's 6th album "Vocalization" released in May 1990 and was written by the singer and composed by Chiho Kiyooka(清岡千穂). Thanks to that saxophone, there is a bluesy downtown vibe that seems to describe a long walk of reflection by a fellow somewhere among the hard streets of Tokyo. Morikawa's rich but floating voice does help in keeping things hopeful, though. I love that guitar solo which reminds me of some of those 80s power ballads by bands such as TOTO.

"Vocalization" also has a couple of tracks that were used in the NHK anime "Fushigi no Umi no Nadia"(不思議の海のナディア...Nadia, The Secret of Blue Water), "Blue Water" and "Yes! I Will". The article was actually my first for Morikawa on KKP.

2 comments:

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.