Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

J-Canuck's "Discovered at Karaoke"

 

Strangely enough, the inspiration for this Author's Pick came from that Sanma Akashiya(明石家さんま)special that I referred to in Masayuki Suzuki's(鈴木雅之)"Tokubetsu na Ichi Nichi ~ a special day"(特別な一日)back on Xmas Eve. Unfortunately but not surprisingly, the video for the entire show got taken down in the last couple of days (although I was able to replace it with Milet's talk with the comedian) but it did show not only Martin's chat with Sanma but also a karaoke performance of the cool singer's famous 80s "Lonely Chaplin" with R&B chanteuse AI. Apparently, AI was so nervous performing with Suzuki that her microphone was about to slip from her hands due to sweat.

But on seeing that performance, a light bulb sparked off over my head. All these years, I've been telling readers that my sources on finding about all this kayo and J-Pop have included CD shop browsing, the old "Sounds of Japan" radio broadcasts on CHIN-FM, and watching anime. But I have neglected to mention that I've also discovered songs through my old karaoke visits to Kuri in Yorkville and then those karaoke sessions in Japan, notably Gunma Prefecture. So I have decided to put down a short list of songs that I first found out about from those visits since after all, I've already talked about my favourite karaoke tunes and the ones that I utterly failed at. As well, Noelle Tham has given her karaoke experiences here, too.

By chance, if any of you commenters have any songs that you discovered through a trip to your friendly neighbourhood karaoke joint, please feel free to share. It's the Holidays, after all.🎉

Kiyomi Suzuki with Rats & Star -- Lonely Chaplin (ロンリー・チャプリン)


Ruiko Kurahashi -- Last Scene ni Ai wo Komete (ラストシーンに愛をこめて)


Anri -- Snowflake no Machikado (スノーフレイクの街角)


Tsuyoshi Nagabuchi -- Kanpai (乾杯)


Anzen Chitai & Yosui Inoue -- Natsu no Owari no Harmony (夏の終わりのハーモニー)



Ikuzo Yoshi -- Yukiguni (雪国)


1 comment:

  1. I've tried it once myself...perhaps that should have gone onto the Failures list as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.