Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Harumi Miyako -- Tanabata Odori(七夕おどり)

 

I missed out on commemorating the traditionally observed Tanabata(七夕)holiday back on July 7th, but I'm making amends here regarding the celebration of the star-crossed lovers.

Tanabata is also one of the earliest festivals of the summer festival season in Japan and you can get more of a feeling of what it's all about by watching the above video by Japanagos. One of the traditions is to write a wish down onto a coloured strip of paper known as tanzaku(短冊)and tie it to a bamboo tree. If I'd had access to tanzaku, I would have written that I wished to visit Japan once more....or win the local Lotto Max.

I did have my days of tanzaku-writing when I was living in Japan but I never saw Tanabata as being a particularly solemn affair. In fact, I think it's quite the lively one with lots of summer colours being bandied about. Double in fact, enka legend Harumi Miyako(都はるみ)released a single in June 1970 titled "Tanabata Odori" (Tanabata Dance); I found the release date at Discogs rather than at J-Wiki where for some odd reason, the single has been omitted from her long discography. 

Regardless, "Tanabata Odori", written by Miyuki Ishimoto(石本美由起)and composed by Shosuke Ichikawa(市川昭介), is an enka tune done up as a particularly festive minyo number. Miyako is exhorting everyone to get off their duffs and dance; Tanabata isn't something to be merely seen or heard but to be experienced. I would say that any summer festival in Japan is something to be experienced with all of the gaiety generated from not only dancers and other active participants but also the attendees in their seasonal yukata and the yatai selling everything from yakisoba to candy apples. Just be aware of the heat and humidity, though.

If you like, you can take a look at this instructional video on how to perform a dance to Miyako's "Tanabata Odori" provided the Hiratsuka City Tourist Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.