Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, July 21, 2023

Yutaka Kimura Speaks ~ Japanese City Pop Masterpieces 100: Jin Kirigaya -- Umi e Kaerou(海へ帰ろう)

 


Number: 015

Lyricists: Jin Kirigaya and Yumi Kojima

Composer: Jin Kirigaya

Arranger: Masataka Matsutoya

From Kirigaya's 1979 album: "My Love For You"

Jin Kirigaya(桐ヶ谷仁)is a singer-songwriter who has displayed a refined sensibility just short of lyrical folk songs. "Umi e Kaerou" (Let's Return to the Sea), which also shines from Masataka Matsutoya's(松任谷正隆)splendid arrangement, is an excellent song with a comfortable medium groove and soft vocals which melt into our ears. It's the type of song that I want to hear while driving to the ocean once summer has passed. Drummer Tatsuo Hayashi(林立夫)chose the song as one of his favourites for his own album of selected music, "Non-Vintage".

The above comes from "Disc Collection Japanese City Pop Revised" (2020).


A slightly sheepish J-Canuck here. Usually I wouldn't step on Mr. Kimura's shadow here but the fact is that I hadn't covered "Umi e Kaerou" either until it was time for this particular episode of "Yutaka Kimura Speaks". There's really nothing much for me to add since I agree with he has said about this comfy tune which hits me as a "Margaritaville" song. It's got bounce and sway and I do like the flute that lands and flies about like a butterfly. 

By the way, co-lyricist Yumi Kojima(児島由美)is someone that I have covered for a couple of articles including her own 1979 album "Comme Des Garcons"(コム・デ・ギャルソン). And I have written about another "My Love For You" track by Kirigaya: "Return to the Sky".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.