Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Ai Furihata -- Play Boy

logos-download

 

With the title and the appearance of that bunny girl in the video, yeah, I'd say that Hugh Hefner's modest magazine and club had a lot to do with it.

I just encountered this one by pure happenstance when it popped up on the right side of YouTube in the last few minutes. "Play Boy" is Ai Furihata's(降旗愛)latest digital single which was released at the end of June last week, and it's got enough of a buzzy synthesizer in there for me to consider it a synthpop creation by Akimitsu Honma(本間昭光). At the same time, the groove and funk are in there to make me think that it's also in the Neo-City Pop sphere. Furihata was responsible for the lyrics about a fellow falling for a lady (no idea on whether she's actually wearing a bunny outfit) despite her complicated nature.

The setup in "Play Boy" reminds me one time when we were having coffee in the Ginza branch of Cozy Corner, a café franchise. I'm sure that the different branches all over Tokyo have their own atmosphere and clientele reflective of the neighbourhood. The Ginza shop had plenty of very well-manicured ladies (perhaps some were club hostesses) sipping coffee while waiting for their well-to-do beaus to show up. My friend and I made sure we were in a dark and cozy corner since we certainly would have stood out for our pedestrian garb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.