Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Akiko Fukuda -- Beautiful My Honey(ビューティフル・マイ・バニー)/Kyosai Sengen(強妻宣言)

 

Aidoru? Kayo?

Those were the two words to greet me when I first saw and heard this song by Akiko Fukuda(福田安希子)on the uploader's YouTube channel. At this point anyways, there is absolutely nothing online to describe her origins or even her singing career outside of this one single that was apparently released sometime in 1980. The A-side and B-side sound light and fluffy enough to perhaps earn that aidoru tag but when I saw the title for that B-side, I figured that she was probably promoted as a pop singer. But I will explain that later.

Anyways, the A-side is "Beautiful My Honey" which is a very airy song backed by a wall of chorus and Bacharach horns. Fukuda also has some pleasantly soft vocals regarding a story of falling in love in the appropriate season of spring. Maybe those bells might be hinting at weddings. I'd say that "Beautiful My Honey" is so upbeat and sunny that it could have become an ideal theme song for a family-based drama back in the day.

Lyricist Ikki Matsumoto(松本一起)and composer/arranger Hiroshi Takada(高田弘)were responsible for "Beautiful My Honey" and they were also behind the B-side "Kyosai Sengen" (4:03). Now, the reason that I've considered Fukuda to be a pop singer rather than an aidoru (although I could still be wrong) is that the song translates into "Strong Wife Declaration", so perhaps it might be the sequel to the events in "Beautiful My Honey" when the lovebirds are now partners in life. Heck, the traditional Japanese shoutout to the Wedding March halfway through the song is a strong indicator. Anyways, I'm not sure whether an aidoru back then would have been allowed to sing about cheerfully laying down the rules to hubby although it's obvious the lady loves him deeply. "Kyosai Sengen" is slightly less bouncy but no less optimistic than the A-side and there is a hint of bossa nova. It feels grounded and domesticated.

Now, if there's anyone out there who can give any further information on Ms. Fukuda, please by all means, let us know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.