Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Pink Title Songs (Yup, I saw "Barbie")

 

With all of that Barbieheimer hype over the past couple of weeks, I did see "Oppenheimer" last month and earlier today, I caught "Barbie". Having seen the trailers and then the music video for Dua Lipa's "Dance the Night", I'd been hoping that I was going to see something similar to "Austin Powers" comedic deconstruction of 1960s spy movies. Unfortunately, the humour mostly didn't land although the deconstruction did take place. However, I was impressed because what I got was a modern fairy tale surrounding one of the most famous dolls ever made for mass consumption and things got downright poignant, especially near the end. "Barbie" is coming out in two days in Japan so yup, I can recommend it because there are also quite a few A-lister seiyuu providing the dubbed version.

I couldn't find any list of songs in Japanese music history that had anything to do with "Barbie", but I know that pink is the character's colour so on that point, I can provide something. Therefore, here are four songs with "pink" in the title.

(1979) Pink Lady -- Pink Typhoon (ピンク・タイフーン)


(1989) Akina Nakamori -- Blue on Pink


(1974) Bread & Butter -- Pink Shadow (ピンクシャドウ)


(1984) Seiko Matsuda -- Pink no Mozart (ピンクのモーツァルト)

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, I quite enjoyed the Billie Eilish song, "What Was I Made For." Beautiful production and lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that haunting and wistful song by Eilish was one of the highlights alongside "Dance the Night". My friend told me that he wanted to get the soundtrack.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.