Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 4, 2023

Iri -- Matenrou(摩天楼)

 

One of the key phrases or words that I target when it comes to finding City Pop tunes that I have yet to listen to is matenrou or skyscrapers. For obvious reasons, if I see that word in a song title, I automatically assume that there is something urban contemporary and cool with the song.

I am not wrong here, either. "Matenrou" by singer-songwriter iri can be debated on whether it's Neo-City Pop or not, but as with the previous two songs that I've written about the Zushi-raised singer, there are some mighty fine beats and contemporary funk here. The song was released as a single in January 2022, the same time that its source album "neon" was put onto the shelves. Along with the arrangement, the other winning thing is that voice of hers with that lower thrum. The lyrics and the video seem to illustrate a mildly debauched night in Tokyo with plenty of tobacco and alcohol as rocket fuel, and that's not including the cool car that iri drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.