Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Kazuhiko Maeda -- Hey, Evelyn

 

It was just last month that I first found out about Kazuhiko Maeda's(前田和彦)supremely contagious "epitone", the title track from his 1997 album. Again, what little I could glean of the songwriter has been placed into that article, but the important thing is that none other than the late Ryuichi Sakamoto(坂本龍一), no slouch in the department of technology and music together, was quite enamored with Maeda's album.

"Hey, Evelyn" is another track with another interesting bent in that there is something rather samba and/or Shibuya-kei infused into the song mixed in all with the synthpop. Sweet, upbeat and refreshing like a glass of sangria, I also get the shoutout to The 5th Dimension's "Up, Up and Away" which is one of the first pop songs that I've ever heard. Come to think of it, I already have done a ROY article on that one.

Incidentally, I don't think I've talked to anyone named Evelyn since junior high school days. Wonder what my old classmate is doing these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.