Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 25, 2023

Bal Balloon -- Stardust Serenade(スターダスト・セレナーデ)

 


I had never heard of the sister duo Bal Balloon(バル・バルーン)before and I'm not sure how long they lasted, although I have to admit that the first time I encountered them on YouTube, I felt that the name could have belonged to a "Star Wars" character. Apparently, earlier in the 1970s, they used to be known as Chewing Gum (perhaps that name lost its flavour? OK, I deeply apologize....😁) according to their writeup on Hip Tank Records.

Bal Balloon has lyricist Rika Matsuda(松田りか)and composer Mami Matsuda(松田マミ)as they came up with "Stardust Serenade", the B-side to their 1980 single "Bahama". The melody grabbed me right from the start with that steady rhythm, the gallant guitar and the electric piano. And once again, KKP has been graced with another dusky scotch-friendly City Pop song. Good for a Friday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.