Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Announcement from Jme

 

Earlier today, I received an announcement from the Japanese streaming service Jme that took over from Japan TV back the spring of 2024. I'm not sure if any of out there are Jme subscribers but I thought I should relay the following to you.

Thank you for being a valued customer.

We regret to announce that Jme, the video streaming service operated by NHK Cosmomedia America, Inc., headquartered in New York, USA, will be discontinued on March 31, 2027.

Jme was launched in March 2024 as the successor to TV JAPAN, which had delivered Japanese-language news and entertainment programs to audiences across North America for more than 30 years. Since Jme’s launch, we have worked to enhance the service by offering 24-hour streaming of NHK WORLD PREMIUM, on-demand programming including Japanese dramas and movies, time-shifted programming tailored to viewing hours in North America, catch-up streaming of news programs, English-subtitled content, and original Jme programming.

However, due to subscriber decline and changes in the media environment, it has become increasingly difficult to sustain the service. It is with great regret that we have therefore decided to discontinue Jme at the end of March 2027. We would like to express our deepest gratitude to our valued customers and to all those who have supported the service over the years.

Please note that Jme will remain available through the end of March 2027. 

We will share additional details about the subscription charges for March 2027 once they have been finalized.  For customers with annual plans, please note that refunds will not be available for customers whose current annual subscription period ends on or before March 31, 2027. We appreciate your understanding.

As for NHK WORLD PREMIUM, it is also available through the following video streaming services as of September 30, 2026. As these services are provided by third-party companies and are separate from NHK Cosmomedia America, Inc., we are unable to provide information regarding subscription procedures, fees, or other details. Please refer to the following websites for further information.

As of April 2027, NHK World Premium will be available through two other streaming services: Toober in Canada and Sling in the United States. To be honest, I'm not that surprised by the news. In any case, we can still enjoy Jme for another several months.

2 comments:

  1. So, after March 2027 I am guessing you are sign up for Toober.com? It seems the have both NHK world premium and Nippon TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm gonna sign up for Toober when the time comes. And I'll probably end up paying half the price for two different Japanese channels and even get to see some of the other international channels.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.