Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 2, 2026

Saori Minami -- Ku-gatsu no Episode(九月のエピソード)

 

Well, yeah, I missed out on putting this one up in the proper month by a few days. But we can't win them all here.

"Ku-gatsu no Episode" (September Episode) is the B-side to 1970s aidoru Saori Minami's(南沙織)May 1978 26th single "Ai Naki Sedai"(愛なき世代). Compared to the breezy kayo of the A-side, "Ku-gatsu no Episode" takes things into the exotic kayo realm via Brazil and perhaps a European nation or two considering the bossa nova and one particular instrument that I cannot quite identify. It does sound classy and Mancini-esque (the strings are shimmering) which is why I've selected this one to finish off Urban Contemporary Friday. And hey, there is the Fender Rhodes which starts things off. Machiko Ryu(竜真知子)and Koji Makaino(馬飼野康二)provided words and music/arrangement respectively.

2 comments:

  1. This is very different from the songs I usually associate Saori Minami with =「17才」 and 「色づく街」! I guess Saori and her repertoire of song had matured together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Brian. I had the impression that the powers-that-be surrounding her were trying to have her grow up professionally as the 70s passed by. Bossa Nova was one way to go.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.