Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Eri Hiramatsu -- La La, Smile

 

On last night's edition of "Asaichi" (remember that I see it live at 7:15 pm EDT via Jme), I found out that October 1st is International Coffee Day. Well, I did have my morning cup of joe but then again, I've been having that mug for decades now. Unfortunately, that's about as much of a celebration that I can do in terms of imbibing.


I'd thought about dedicating an Author's Picks to the wonders of coffee-themed kayo kyoku, but it turns out that I had already come out with something similar over a year ago. Please enjoy "Coffee, Tea or Milk?". 

Well, what to do? Thankfully, I was able to find something coffee-themed. Back in October 2014, so about a dozen years ago, singer-songwriter Eri Hiramatsu(平松愛理 )released her album "La La, Smile". The title track was actually used as a jingle for Nescafe, one of the more famous producers of coffee. And so we get this happy-happy-joy-joy pop song with a hint of Jackson 5 Motown as a video literally rolls by with a whole bunch of regular people doing a little song and dance...maybe slightly hopped up on the caffeine there. 

2 comments:

  1. “hint of Jackson 5 Motown”? Hmm, I guess the track does have that kind of buoyant, major-key, hand-clapping soul-pop vocabulary with an uncomplicated singalong refrain, rhythmic piano/keyboards, a bouncy rhythm section and a deliberately communal feel. I am not sure if I would call it a Motown pastiche, though but early-1970s Jackson 5 is a reasonable reference point for the feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably still go with the Jackson 5 Motown analogy since that intro reminded me of their "ABC" and "I Want You Back".

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.