Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Huey Lewis and The News -- The Power of Love

 

There are a number of movies that I regret not seeing at the theatre including a couple of recent superhero movies. One of the earliest that I never got to catch on the big screen was "Superman" with Christopher Reeve (though I ended up seeing "Superman II" five times!), and then there was "Back to the Future" which will soon celebrate its 37th anniversary this year. I actually caught that one a few years later for the first time on VHS at a showing by my university's Japanese-Canadian Students' Association event. 

I can only imagine what it must have been like in the theatre especially in the above scene where Marty was racing the DeLorean to get back to 1985, and it seemed like fate was trying to put up as many roadblocks as possible to prevent that from happening. The moviegoers were most likely screaming like crazy and then cheering when Doc managed to get that bolt of lightning to provide the 1.21 gigawatts of power to the car/time machine. With Alan Silvestri's heroic theme for the entire franchise blasting away, the scene has gone down as one of the most satisfying and exciting in history.


Of course, along with Silvestri's score for "Back to the Future", there is "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and The News, and this song along with the movie are so inextricably linked that whenever I hear this Huey hit or see Marty on his skateboard, the other invariably comes to mind immediately. For that matter, "The Power of Love" is one of the big songs that has me waxing nostalgically about the 1980s in general. I think it's become Michael J Fox's theme song as well; I recall seeing a Japanese car commercial starring the guy while the song was playing.

I'd already known about Huey Lewis and The News by the time that "The Power of Love" hit the airwaves. I don't think that this particular song was the breakthrough hit for the San Francisco band; they'd already had a number of hits and other recognizable tunes but "The Power of Love" which was released in June 1985, not too long before the movie started showing up, ended up being their very first No. 1 hit on Billboard's Hot 100 (and a chart-topper in Canada, too). 


Of course, being released in the 1980s, there had to be a dance remix version released as well. Hey, it's all good. As I mentioned above, there are plenty of other Huey Lewis and The News hits out there so I'll have to cover some of those as ROY articles.

So, what was occupying top three spaces on the Oricon chart for June 1985?

1. Yumi Matsutoya, Kazumasa Oda, Kazuo Zaitsu -- Ima Dakara (今だから)


2. Momoko Kikuchi -- BOY no Tehma (BOYのテーマ)


3. Seiko Matsuda -- Boy no Kisetsu (ボーイの季節)


I couldn't help it...just had to include Silvestri's "Back to the Future" theme! It's too epic!


2 comments:

  1. We saw it several times in the theaters. It was great! One of the best cheering moments was when Huey Lewis showed up onscreen. All the kids were yelling while most of the adults were puzzled.

    We had a theater nearby back in the late 90s that showed older movies. Thanks to them, I finally got to see "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," "Blues Brothers," "Die Hard," and "Blazing Saddles" on the big screen. A lot of the kids in the audience had never seen "Willy Wonka," and they were absolutely amazed by the chocolate room. They were all so much better on the big screen with a packed audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Scott. "Die Hard" was another movie that I failed to catch in the theatres but I learned my lesson to ensure that I caught "Die Hard 2". "Willy Wonka" is a whole lot more poignant now that Gene Wilder has left this mortal coil.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.