Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Minori Chihara -- Hare Hare Yukai (ハレ晴レユカイ)

 


“Hare Hare Yukai” is the ending theme song for the 2006 version of the classic anime series “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya” made by Kyoto Animation. It is composed by anime music composer Satoru Kosaki.


We all know the sound of “J-pop”, but none of us can give the exact definition of it, because J-pop is not one genre. J-pop is a mixture of many styles of music over the years. It comprises all kinds of musical elements Japan has heard in the last century. 


“Hare Hare Yukai” is one of the “J-pop” songs. There are some EDM elements in it, some rock, and a little bit of influence from the 90s. However, every influence that is supposed to make this song identifiable exists in small fragments, which, in the end, results in a track that doesn’t distinguish itself from other songs.


But why is a song so featureless in arrangement attract me so much?


If it was four years ago, I definitely would not like it. At that time, I was just introduced to Toshiki and Tatsuro’s classic city pop tracks and I was busy exploring all the exciting bass slaps, horn sections, and guitar solos. This track would appear too bland for me. But now, four years later, I have seen everything. Funk is an everyday concept and no bass lines would get me as excited as I was when I first heard city pop. The dust of the funk has settled down, and it is now the pure appreciation of the music and the emotion that leads me to listen. 


And that leads me to this song. Yes, the arrangement is not distintive, but a distintive arrangement is no longer the attraction I look for. What really attracted me is the energy and the touch of melancholy it presents. It makes me think of the time I had during my middle school life. The study, assignments, food, and teachers were repetitive. No one had to worry about contagious diseases. Time seemed to be endless, and I had a lot of fun with my friends. I was familiar and comfortable with everything: people, grades, and responsibilities. These two years was the most carefree and joyful time of my life, and this song resonates with the memories I have.


“On a particular sunny day,

A happiness greater than magic

Will pour down endlessly. It's not impossible!

When we meet again tomorrow, we'll laugh and hum a tune.”


These lyrics from the song represent just what I feel about it. If I were to sum it up in one word, it would be “hope”. Hope that everything will remain easy and familiar; hope that good things can last; hope that the weather will always be sunny and people be happy; hope that covid never happened; hope that I will always see my friends tomorrow after tomorrow, until eternity.


But none of it happened. After I graduated middle school, I would end up transferring to an American high school, where people are unfamiliar and tests are stressful, Kyoto Animation would collapse under fire, and we would eventually hit the age of quarantine and masks.


“Hare Hare Yukai” is a reminder to me that time has changed, that I have grown up. Loving this song in the way I do means both my music taste and mentality have matured. I am no longer the high schooler who only loves the superficial rhythm of funk. I am now an adult who knows how to form my own understanding and taste the emotion in music. My carefree years were gone, and now, it is time to begin another adventure in my new phase of life.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, HRLE92. Thanks very much for your take on "Hare Hare Yukai". Yeah, as we grow older, we start forming those musical touchstones in our lives that remind us of the times that surrounded them, and that's been true for a lot of genres in both Japanese and Western music.

    I think one thing that had "Hare Hare Yukai" becoming an anison classic wasn't only the catchiness of the melody but also the choreography that spurred fans to create their own live-action re-enactments of the dance, and also the popularity of the anime itself.

    For me, when I first got started on Japanese popular music over 40 years ago, it was all about the aidoru stuff and YMO. But of course, since then I've been able to absorb so much more including City Pop and enka. Hopefully, that will continue with you as well in all sorts of world music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I remember this song very well back in the early days of Youtube. This went viral and I remember one of the uploads had gotten over a million views, which was a big deal. Definitely a classic anisong and it just screams "J-Pop" to me.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.