Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, May 8, 2022

Heartsdales feat. SOUL'd OUT -- Candy Pop

 

Happy Mother's Day! I hope that all mothers out there are enjoying the special Sunday. We took Mom out for an early breakfast at a local diner that we hadn't entered in over two years, so it was great to have those pancakes, sausages and eggs once more. Plus, the owner recognized us on sight which was very reassuring.

It's not even noon yet and already my pop culture stomach has been getting as full as my real one is right now. Some of my family will be catching "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" later today (and I'll be catching it pretty soon myself), the fourteenth Doctor Who has just finally been announced (my congratulations to Ncuti Gatwa...I've never heard of him but then again, I hadn't heard of Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant or Matt Smith before they got the job as Time Lord), and the currently running Season 3 of "Kaguya-sama: Love Is War" basically lit their corner of YouTube on fire due to a rap sequence with a couple of the main characters in Episode 5. Had no idea that Chika could swear like a sailor!

Ah, rap. It's not a genre that I know particularly well but on seeing Miyuki and Chika rapping away in the park there had me thinking back to the early 2000s when rap and hip-hop were really making their presence known in Japan. So, in the KKP backlog, I noticed that there was a video involving a couple of acts that I used to hear about when I was living there at the turn of the century, but hadn't realized that the two of them had worked together.

But in September 2003, out came a single "Candy Pop" by Japanese-American hip-pop sister duo Heartsdales with help from hip-hop group SOUL'd OUT who I've remembered all these years because of Diggy-MO's distinct voice. Listening to the song, I have definitely received a lot of those m-flo vibes and sure enough, according to the JASRAC database, Verbal from that group was helping out on the lyrics along with SOUL'd OUT and Jewels, one-half of Heartsdales. SOUL'd OUT took care of the composing work.

I can't even say that I'm a hip-pop fan although I ought to give some of Namie Amuro's(安室奈美恵)post-2000 songs a chance. However, "Candy Pop" is pretty darn catchy; the title says it right there, it's got a lot more on the pop side despite the rap patter, and happily enough, it fits the lovely weather outside: sunny and refreshingly cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.