Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, May 7, 2022

QYPTHONE -- Go-Go Girl

 

Back in 2019, I first talked about a singer-songwriter and sound creator by the name Takeshi Nakatsuka(中塚武)whose music videos captivated me with their dancing CG polygons while my ears were caressed with the sound of jazz and Shibuya-kei. And it was there that I also mentioned that he had his own band in the late 1990s and early 2000s called QYPTHONE.

In fact, it was through a 1997 German compilation album called "Sushi 4004" that QYPTHONE got their introduction to the world. Four original albums under that name were released between 1998 and 2002 with the second one being "Organic Sound Theatre" which came out in November 1999. From that album, I give you "Go-Go Girl".

Man, "Go-Go Girl" is Shibuya-kei on electronica-laced acid. It's like that scene in the first "Dr. Strange" entry when Stephen gets his first rather sudden trip through the multiverse thanks to a mercilessly mirthful The Ancient One...except that it was fun for him. It was fun for us viewers but now all of us can get to go-go dance. We all get tossed around all over the planet via the most hedonistic and alternately chill and crazed dance palaces before we ultimately get thrown back into our bedrooms at the end of the nearly 5 minutes of "Go-Go Girl".

I see that there are some more of QYPTHONE's delicacies up on YouTube. I'll have to give those a try as well. Meanwhile, allow me to finish with a few minutes of go-go dancing.

1 comment:

  1. That's what attracted me to the song. I usually like a good bouncy Shibuya-kei tune.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.