Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 6, 2022

Kinokuniya Band -- Goodbye Again

 

Once again, we have come to the end of our broadcasting day here on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", and being Friday night after all, perhaps something soulful and bluesy would be just the tonic.

I haven't written about Kinokuniya Band(紀の国屋バンド)in about three years, so I think it's time to get another track up from their 1979 album "Street Sensation". Here is "Goodbye Again" which is a nearly 6-minute dreamy ballad that has that feeling of something to be played near the end of a session at 2 am before the nightclub declares lights out. In fact, the songs that I've heard so far from "Street Sensation" have that impression of having been taped live on the stage, and yet "Goodbye Again" is just Track 2 of the album.

Composed by Keitaro Ikuta(生田敬太郎)and written by Noriyo Ikeda(池田典代), another City Pop singer, vocalist Masako Takasaki(高崎昌子)just knocks it out of the park while her fellow bandmates run around the bases with aplomb, especially guitarist Motoki Ichisaki(市崎元輝). I'm not saying that this was true, but I could imagine Takasaki having inspired band vocalists such as Yoshie Nakano(中納良恵)from Ego-Wrappin'. Takasaki and Ichisaki together make the core for this performance that leaves the listeners wanting more...before club management yells everyone to go home.

I'll just be polite and friendly here and wish everyone a good night.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Brian. I've been to both the bookstore and the supermarket. Got a few pumpkins at the latter to celebrate Halloween with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did go to the one in Rockefeller Centre in New York City. Unfortunately, there are no Kinokuniya branches in Canada that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Noriyo Ikeda did the lyrics? I had no idea she was ever involved with any songwriting besides the songs she wrote/co-wrote on Dream in the Street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ace! Yeah, I was also surprised when I saw that name. The kanji was correct but there's a part of me that's wondering whether it could be another Noriyo Ikeda with the exact same kanji who wrote it up. However at this point, I'm leaving things as is until someone lets me know otherwise with sources.

      Delete
  4. Just glad that the site is there although bookstore browsing isn't possible. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.