Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

POLYSICS -- Dr. Pepper!!!!!

 

It's not exactly a Reminiscings of Youth situation today but ahh, that commercial of actor David Naughton singing and dancing about while giving his ode to Dr. Pepper certainly brings back memories. That ad was huge on television back when I was a teenager. But oddly enough, it wouldn't be until I was in Japan from the mid-1990s onward that I would discover the wonders of the cola that wasn't Coke or Pepsi. There were certainly vending machines and supermarkets in my area that sold the stuff, and I was more than game for it, although I have friends and students who would pucker their face up into a knot whenever I mentioned it, accusing Dr. Pepper of tasting like medicine.

And this is how we segue into POLYSICS' "Dr. Pepper!!!!!", the lead track from their March 2015 album "HEN Ai LET'S GO!"(HEN 愛 LET'S GO!...Favouritism Let's Go!). Ironically, according to J-Wiki, band member Hiroyuki Hayashi(ハヤシヒロユキ)had his first taste of Dr. Pepper when he was in Grade 3...and couldn't move fast enough to expel it, and the kid was crying! Well, apparently, the maturity of his tongue grew so that now he not only could fall in love with the stuff, he even ended up creating this very song, a wildly fizzy concoction hailing the joy of drinking Dr. Pepper. I can certainly sympathize.😆

My worry is that Hayashi may have been drinking too much of the cola when he and the rest of POLYSICS recorded "Dr. Pepper!!!!!!". The coda to all this, though, is that since returning to Canada over a decade ago, I really haven't drunk all that much cola of any of the brands; it's been mostly Canada Dry or Sprite now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.