Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Alcohol Kayo by J-Canuck

Doing another reference to last night's "Uta Con"(うたコン), the episode began with Sayuri Ishikawa's(石川さゆり)non-enka hit, the jazzy "Whiskey ga O-Suki deshou?" (ウィスキーが、お好きでしょ)and the singer naturally sang it in the middle of a whiskey distillery. Not sure if she got free samples afterwards; it certainly couldn't have been beforehand. 

But it did get me to think about another Author's Picks list about kayo kyoku involving alcoholic libations. It's a natural fit, too, since Japan has been said to possess a bar culture. Noting how much the Japanese love their drink whether it be the native sake and shochu or the imported beer, whiskey, cocktails, etc, the culture has basically woven itself into the practice of doing business in the nation. Weirdly enough, I never considered myself even a social drinker. How I (or my liver) managed to survive nearly two decades in Japan, I'll never know but I was practically forced to learn to appreciate beer in mass quantities.

However, before this article ends up as a sermon at Alcoholics Anonymous, let me show you some Alcohol Kayo Kyoku. 

(1990) Sayuri Ishikawa -- Whiskey ga O-Suki deshou? (ウィスキーが、お好きでしょ)


(1991) Takashi Hosokawa -- Oenka, Ikimasu (応援歌、いきます)


(1977) Mieko Nishijima -- Gin Lime (ジンライム)


(1977) Yujiro Ishihara -- Brandy Glass (ブランデーグラス)


(1988) Ikuzo Yoshi -- Sake yo (酒よ)


(1994) Chisato Moritaka -- Kibun Sokai (気分爽快)

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have heard of the Alcohol Kayo genre, but to be honest it does fit Japan! Hmm, I wonder if Anzen Chitai's Wine Red Kokoro would count as part of the genre?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't say that it was a genre...more of a whimsical idea since I know that a lot of songs have been given titles with libations in them...in which case "Wine-Red Kokoro" would apply.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.