Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, November 10, 2023

Hiroshi Murai -- Frozen Summer(帰らない夏)

 

Although I can hardly say that this past hot season was a frozen summer, I didn't get the impression that it was one of our more torrid summers either. That's fine with me since after having gone through the volcanic stuff in Japan for all of those years, warm-and-not-stifling summers are more my thing. However, I'm sure that there are sun worshippers who are lamenting another lost opportunity of temperature and are now dreading another several months of cold and ice.

Several weeks ago in September, I noted this singer that I hadn't heard of before by the name of Hiroshi Murai(村井博). I did like the cut of his jib when it came to his 1990 "Hikigane"(鉄爪)as some turn-of-the-decade City Pop which was actually created by different people: lyricist Mami Takubo(田久保真見)and composer Ichiro Hada(羽田一郎).

Well, this time around, I found another Murai melody and I may like this one even better than "Hikigane". Murai did write and compose this opening track on his debut album "Mirror of Hearts" from October 1988, "Frozen Summer". As soon as I discovered that Etsuko Yamakawa(山川恵津子)had been behind the arrangement, I had an inkling that I was going to be in for a good time, and sure enough, I was right. "Frozen Summer" is a truly an urban strut down the paved streets and Murai's voice really resonates in this one. The underlying rhythm really gets the blood going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.