Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Ron Grainer and Delia Derbyshire -- Theme from "Doctor Who"

 

For all American readers here, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope all of you have made it to your destinations and will soon be tucking into that Norman Rockwell-friendly turkey dinner with all of the trimmings. Now, as for all you Whovians out in the world, a Happy 60th anniversary to "Doctor Who", the longest-running science-fiction TV series out there. It was born on the BBC on November 23rd 1963.

As you can see at the top, there is my copy of the commemorative tome for the 20th anniversary of the show which I purchased when I was but a wee high schooler. To think that "Doctor Who" is now three times as old. From what I remember reading was that the show of a fantastical if irascible figure known as The Doctor traveling in his Type 40 TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space) had originally been crafted to act as a peaceful programming wedge between the Saturday afternoon sports show and the evening news. Well, it's gotten a little more complex since then.


The first time I'd ever heard of "Doctor Who" was in the early 1970s when it appeared on either the local educational channel, OECA, or the Buffalo affiliate of PBS, WNED. I first got to see the Third Doctor played by Jon Pertwee as this cranky if dashing middle-aged guy chopping enemies with his Venusian aikido and was then initially confused when suddenly he changed into a tall bohemian version of Harpo Marx played by Tom Baker as you can see above. I had to gradually learn about the whole concept of regeneration which is virtually a bank holiday in the UK when a new actor jumps into the role. 

I distinctly remember the first episode that was introduced on screens here which happened to be the 10th anniversary special, "The Three Doctors". The idea was either inspired or insane by the programmers. Have new viewers see all three actors who have played The Doctor at one time to get the idea of who they were or confuse the heck out of them by having three Doctors in the same time and space in some madcap caper. But since I didn't see any weird monsters, spaceships or phaser bursts within the first five minutes, I quickly switched over to the CBC. It would take several years, quick views of clips Pertwee and Baker as I was changing the channel and a more mature approach before I finally got to enjoy "Doctor Who" by the late 1970s...just in time before Baker handed the baton to young Peter Davison.

My feelings on the good Doctor and the show over the decades have been perhaps similar those of his companions: love and hate, disappointment and thrills. The quality of episodes and even that of full seasons has also careened wildly just like the TARDIS flying through the space/time vortex. But The Doctor keeps on coming in his many and different faces to save the universe from Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans and other horrifying crises.


Although my initial viewing of "The Three Doctors" didn't last too long, I was around for the eerie and iconic theme song by Ron Grainer and Delia Derbyshire. The story of how the theme was created is frankly incredible and ought to be read about on its Wikipedia entry but back then, there were no synthesizers or emulators. From how it reads, it was all the equivalent of manual handling, snipping, splicing and patience without computers. I've often wondered whether techno bands such as Yellow Magic Orchestra and Kraftwerk had gotten any inspiration from hearing the theme.

In the decades since, the theme song eventually underwent a lot of different arrangements including the one for the 60th anniversary specials, due to be televised in a few days. But I have to admit that my favourite version isn't one that has been used on any of the episodes or specials, but the following mix created by Hardwire. If I ever have the need for speed and inspiration, I go to this one.

Anyways, enjoy the anniversary and have a jellybaby!


For this week's Reminiscings of Youth, let's see what was winning at the Japan Record Awards in 1963.

Grand Prize: Michiyo Azusa -- Konnichiwa Aka-chan (こんにちは赤ちゃん)


Best New Artist: Kazuo Funaki -- Koukou Sannen-sei (高校三年生)


Best New Artist: Akemi Misawa -- Shima no Blues(島のブルース)

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of 'Doctor Who' before, but have never watched it. I don't think it was broadcast in my neck of the woods when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite sure where "Doctor Who" was broadcast when I was a kid outside of the UK, the US and Canada. I'm assuming that Commonwealth nations may have gotten the show. Interestingly enough, it seems that the show is also very popular in South Korea.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.