Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 9, 2026

Kei Marimura -- Final Flight

 


We come to the end of another KKP Urban Contemporary Friday. Hope you've had a good time and to finish off, let's see if I can come up with something nice and nocturnal and soothing.

Looks like we've been scouring through Kei Marimura's(真梨邑ケイ)1985 "Tiempo de Amor" album over the past few years, so why not coax out another track? This one pops up just before my favourite song on the original LP, "Etranger Break"(エトランゼ・ブレイク). There are also "Shiseikatsu"(私生活)and "Watashi dake no Le Mans"(私だけのル・マン).

"Final Flight" sounds like it's a final track for the album but it may actually begin Side B instead. No matter. It's still a dreamy nighttime tonic for all that fatigues the listener with its laidback tempo, that Fender Rhodes, the lone trumpet, and Marimura's cooing vocals. We can give thanks to lyricist Masako Arikawa(有川正沙子)and composer Makoto Matsushita(松下誠). "Final Flight" could be referring to that final flight out of Haneda for the night, but I like to envisage a taxi ride away from the airport into Tokyo toward that lonely hotel room. Good night to you all!💤

2 comments:


  1. The narrator does not want to adjust her watch to a different time zone because doing so would symbolize the final severing of their connection, so she wants to remain in the same time as her lover for just a little longer. The airport is not simply the setting for the breakup. The mechanics of international travel become metaphors for the relationship itself. OR, maybe instead this song is about long-distance relationships? In other words: the two are parting ways, but the narrator not wanting to change her watch to a different time zone might (I know I am grasping for straws here) hint at a long-distance continuation. I know that I am reading into this song, or maybe I am just superimposing my experience onto this song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian. Well, I gotta admit that is some imagination, and that it's OK to extrapolate from the lyrics since oftentimes they are written vaguely enough for fans to interpret them how they see fit.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.